We are excited to announce a new artistic program at Courthouse Youth Arts for emerging performance makers who are seeking a supported opportunity to create new work.
Applications close 5pm, Monday 29th July 2019 – get in quick!
Bring to us your crucial vision, the persistent idea that begs creation. If you have an ambitious work yet to realise, we want to hear from you.
We are interested in working with theatre makers, visual artists, musicians or composers, dancers or choreographers, filmmakers, writers, publishers, producers, curators, poets or animators – tell us who you are and why you’re interested in creating live performance.
Courthouse will provide the resources for emerging artists to develop their own performance projects, by providing in-kind venue hire and supported public outcomes during August – November 2019.
Courthouse is Geelong’s only multi-art form organisation dedicated to supporting emerging artists as they explore experimental and contemporary practice. We provide opportunities through participation, collaboration and professional practice to encourage creative risk taking in a safe environment. We are part of Geelong’s Creative Precinct with neighbouring arts organisations including: Back to Back Theatre, Geelong Performing Arts Centre, Geelong Library and Heritage Centre and Geelong Gallery.
We describe emerging artists as those who are 26 years old and younger, or are in the first five years of their practice. Artists who are mid-career or established are welcome to apply, but the application must centre emerging artists in the making of the work.
Artists can either focus on creating a site-specific work for one of our spaces, or a series of works across multiple spaces. You can learn more about our venue here.
To apply, please read the information below and fill in the form. We advise that you prepare your responses in a separate document as you will not be able to save your work in the form below.
We strongly encourage First Nations, culturally diverse, LGBTIQ+, artists with disability, or anyone who identifies as underrepresented or has intersectional identities to apply.
Successful projects will receive the following:
- $500 seed funding towards material costs
- In-kind venue hire (up to three weeks)
- In-kind technical support and producing support
- In-kind marketing and publicity support
- Assistance in accessing support from local arts organisations (e.g. access to Geelong Library and Heritage Centre’s archives and collections for research).
What is the artistic project that is ambitious and crucial for you to present? Tell us why this project and why now. Why you, and how will this opportunity help you develop your artistic practice?
We will use the following selection criteria when assessing applications:
- Expresses originality of ideas and undertakes creative risk
- Key artists confirmed with clear rationale/scope of the creative development
- Employs contemporary practice and ideas, addressing political/social/cultural/environmental/personal relevance
- Challenges artist(s) practice, promotes artistic growth and development within the art form
- Approaches cultural safety, sustainability, access and diversity with clear intent where relevant
- Centres emerging artists in the making of the work
Please apply by filling out the form below. We also encourage artists to contact us before submitting your application.
Applications extended to 5pm, Monday 29th July 2019.
For all enquiries regarding our Creative Development Program: August – November 2019,
Joshua Allen, Producer
(03) 5224 2815